A warm welcome to the website for Honing.
The village is in the Parish of Honing with Crostwight, in north east Norfolk.
We welcome all suggestions and amendments for this website. Please click here to use the contact form.
NEW: POP-UP LUNCHES are held fortnightly in the clubroom of the Village Hall. Come and join us for a delicious home cooked lunch, two courses plus tea or coffee for only £8. The bar is also open for a glass of wine with your meal. All are welcome; we are a friendly crowd, so do consider joining us, especially if you are on your own. Transport can be arranged. Just phone Carole on 01692 218718 to book a place. The next ones will be held on 9 January and 23 January 2019 from 12 noon. Click here in ‘Regular Events’ or look in the ‘Good News’ magazine for future dates.
REGULAR, MONTHLY EVENTS in the Village Hall including Pop-Up Lunches, Tuesday Quiz and Saturday Bingo, for details and dates click here
Village Notice Board:
- Winter Warmer 2018 – another friendly, happy and successful event in the Village Hall on Saturday 1 Dec 2018 which raised over £500. Click here for photos taken by Malcolm Bubb
- Dec 2018: We’ve been approached by BEANSTALK, a charity which is looking for volunteers to help children with reading in local schools.
As a Beanstalk reading helper you will work with three children at a local primary school and spend 30 minutes with each child twice a week, during term-time, for at least one academic year. Your help will be so appreciated. NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED – training and support given. More details click here
If you would like to become a Beanstalk reading helper in Norfolk, please visit the website at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk or call Beanstalk on 0845 450 0301.
- **Local Businesses and For Sale**: we can add your business (eg tree surgeon) and local produce (e.g. see local honey) to the Local Businesses page…
- Honing Defibrillator Training Nov 2018 – photos here
- Armistice Beacon lighting in Honing 11 November 2018 – report and photos
- Three great ‘STROLLING AROUND HONING’ walks around the village have been updated by Paul Morse and added to the website header under LOCAL WALKS (see above). Enjoy our countryside!
- Honing Vintage Fair 1-2 Sept 2018 raised an amazing £1530.21 and see report click here
- The Village Hall has been repainted in August (a mammoth job) and new curtains added, and so it looks sparkling fresh again. Check out the hard work in these photos
- For the Chairman’s report and recent news of Honing Church’s current Restoration Project 2017, please click here
- New photos in the Gallery section of our summer harvest (spot the deer hiding in the corn), and the local Vintage Tractor Run in aid of the East Anglian Air Ambulance: click here for the Gallery. They were sent to us by Charlotte Watlow and we are very grateful to her for sharing them with us.
- Honing Open Gardens event on Sunday 24 June successfully raised £1,000 for the church fabric fund, and for Malcolm Bubb’s photos of Radio Norfolk’s ‘Treasure Quest’ team arrival in the morning click here
- The most recent Jumble Sale on Saturday 16 June raised the phenomenal sum of £939.70 and we’re all very grateful to Joan Baker and all her helpers for such hard work – it takes nearly a week to prepare for the big day, and tidy up afterwards.
- Historic Landscape Walk from Honing Church to Honing Park May 2018: click here for story and photos
- Requests are occasionally received to buy a copy of ‘Village Voices’. There are currently no copies available, and it isn’t possible to reprint it, but if anyone ever wishes to sell their copy, please email here.
- New dates for monthly Quiz Night and Bingo click here
- New dates for 2018 Parish Council meetings click here
- Honing Daffodil Day raised £917.80! Honing Daffodil Day: 25 Mar 18
________ ________ _________
HONING is in the large parish of Honing with Crostwight in the northeast of the county of Norfolk. The parish of Honing with Crostwight, in the 2011 census, recorded a population of 312 inhabitants. Its northern boundary is with the civil parish of Witton whilst to the south is the parish of Dilham. To the west lies Worstead and on the eastern boundary is the parish of East Ruston. There are several areas of Common land within the parish which include Crostwight Common and Honing Common.
The village sign depicts a labourer honing his scythe, and the tree depicts the many orchards which once graced the village. Since 1935, the civil parish of Honing has incorporated its very small neighbouring village of Crostwight. The name Honing derives from the Old English for something approaching “settlement of the people at the hill or rock.”
The village is 15 miles north-northeast of Norwich, 13 miles south east of Cromer and 135 miles north-east of London. The village lies 4 miles south east of the ancient market town of North Walsham. The nearest railway stations are at Worstead and North Walsham for the Abellio Greater Anglia Bittern Line which runs between Sheringham and Norwich. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport. For the purposes of local government, the village falls within North Norfolk District Council.
The Weavers Way long distance footpath runs across the south east corner of the parish along part of the old track bed of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway (which ran between North Great Yarmouth via Peterborough to the Midlands and the North). The total length of the Weavers Way is about 56 miles between Cromer and Great Yarmouth. The disused North Walsham & Dilham Canal runs along the south west boundary of the parish.
CROSTWIGHT is a small village and in the north-east of the county of Norfolk. It was an independent civil parish until 1935 when it merged with Honing.
Apart from the beautiful medieval church of All Saints’, the village consists of Crostwight Hall, cottages and outbuildings many which are now converted into homes, an Old Rectory, and a few other houses.
Crostwight parish church stands on its own down a grass track not far from the Old Rectory, but is distant from the rest of the village.