A warm welcome to the website for Honing.
The village is in the Parish of Honing with Crostwight, in north east Norfolk.
We welcome all suggestions and amendments for this website. Please click here to use the contact form.
- SUNDAY 9 FEBRUARY 2020 8pm Series 2: Episode 2 (of 6) Channel 5’s series “Walking Britain’s Lost Railways” presented by Rob Bell who will be walking in the north east of England. The team came to film Honing Station in June 2019 so we hope, in a future episode about the old railway line between King’s Lynn and Great Yarmouth in this 2nd series, that there might be a section on Honing Station, its history and its restoration. Keep an eye out!
- ! NEW ! CRAFT, COFFEE AND CAKE Club every 2 weeks. Next one **WEDNESDAY 19 FEBRUARY** 10am – 12 pm in Honing Village Hall. All are welcome. It was great to see lots attend on 5 Feb – some just for a welcome hot drink(s!) and a friendly chat, and some with crafts. Mouthwatering scones and cake by Carole (and for those lucky early birds, a loaf of freshly made bread to take home for only £1). Any craft welcome and any level…if required, you’ll be able to get advice or be taught dressmaking, knitting and crochet. £1 per morning as a contribution to refreshments. Ring Carole 01692 218718 or 07539 356001. Please come and support – enjoy finishing that project or learn something new. Blow away the winter blues!
- Our popular VILLAGE HALL POP-UP LUNCHES are running again every other Wednesday from 12 FEBRUARY 2020 and Carole is taking bookings. Click here for details. Come and join us for a delicious home-cooked lunch, two courses plus tea or coffee for the amazing value of only £8 per person. The bar is also open for a glass of wine with your meal. All are welcome. We are a friendly crowd, so do consider joining us, especially if you are on your own. Transport can be arranged. Just phone Carole 01692 218718 to book a place.
- Please come and use the bar in Honing Village Hall * open Sundays 1-5pm* !
- 2020 dates for your diary. Details to follow:
- Daffodil Mile Day Sunday 29 March 2020
- VE Weekend Friday 8 – Sunday 10 May 2020
- Bank Holiday Monday Village Walk Monday 27 May 2020
- Honing Past and Present Weekend Saturday 5 – Sunday 6 September 2020
- Honing’s Winter Wonderland Saturday 28 – Sunday 29 November 2020
- *Art Class* at Capital Culture Gallery in Coltishall. Mondays 10.30 – 12.45pm £15 per person For more details, see LOCAL CLASSES
- Click on this link https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-north-walsham-and-dilham-canal-1966-online to watch excellent film footage compiled in the 1960s of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal, its history, its buildings and boats. The canalised River Ant runs through our village. See also the link on the right hand side of this page to the North Walsham and Dilham Canal Trust.
- CHURCH SERVICES in Honing and Crostwight, and Dilham and Smallburgh
- 2020 Village Hall QUIZ dates to be added: click here for info
- 2020 Village Hall BINGO dates to be added: click here for info
- New Parish Council meeting dates for 2020 to be added: click here for info
- REGULAR, MONTHLY EVENTS in the Village Hall including Pop-Up Lunches, Tuesday Quiz and Saturday Bingo, for details and dates click here
Village Notice Board:
- *NEW* Honing’s Old Village Shop Museum – see information and photos – click here or click on History at the top of the page
- Honing Businesses and For Sale: if you are based in the village, we can add your business to the Honing Businesses and For Sale page
- HONING’S VERY POPULAR *WINTER WARMER* Saturday 7 December 2019 raised an excellent £600: click to see report
- The Macmillan Cancer tea party in the Village Hall raised the fantastic sum of £216.15 for the charity so thank you Carole!
- The ACCORDE CHOIR in Honing Church Saturday 14 September 2019
- Honing Past and Present weekend 31 Aug – 1 September raised £2,846.42
- *HONING DAFFODIL MILE history*
- HONING FLOWER FESTIVAL 2019 ‘HONING: ITS PEOPLE AND PLACES IN FLOWERS’ Sat 22 – Sun 23 June £1,200 raised and click to see report and photos
- 22-23 June 2019 *PLANT AND TABLE TOP SALE* in aid of The Big C Charity – £2,000 raised!
- VILLAGE WALK Crostwight Bank Holiday Monday 27 May 2019 click here for report
- HONING DAFFODIL DAY Sunday 24 March 2019 photos click here and enjoyed by record numbers of visitors
- Dec 2018: We’ve been approached by BEANSTALK, a charity which is looking for volunteers to help children with reading in local schools.
As a Beanstalk reading helper you will work with three children at a local primary school and spend 30 minutes with each child twice a week, during term-time, for at least one academic year. Your help will be so appreciated. NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED – training and support given. More details click here
If you would like to become a Beanstalk reading helper in Norfolk, please visit the website at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk or call Beanstalk on 0845 450 0301.
Three great ‘STROLLING AROUND HONING’ walks around the village have been updated by Paul Morse and added to the website header under LOCAL WALKS (see above). Enjoy our countryside!
- For the Chairman’s report and recent news of Honing Church’s current Restoration Project 2017, please click here
- New photos in the Gallery section of our summer harvest (spot the deer hiding in the corn), and the local Vintage Tractor Run in aid of the East Anglian Air Ambulance: click here for the Gallery. They were sent to us by Charlotte Watlow and we are very grateful to her for sharing them with us.
- Requests are occasionally received to buy a copy of ‘Village Voices’. There are currently no copies available, and it isn’t possible to reprint it, but if anyone ever wishes to sell their copy, please email here.
- New dates for monthly Quiz Night and Bingo click here
________ ________ _________
HONING is in the large parish of Honing with Crostwight in the northeast of the county of Norfolk. The parish of Honing with Crostwight, in the 2011 census, recorded a population of 312 inhabitants. Its northern boundary is with the civil parish of Witton whilst to the south is the parish of Dilham. To the west lies Worstead and on the eastern boundary is the parish of East Ruston. There are several areas of Common land within the parish which include Crostwight Common and Honing Common.
The village sign depicts a labourer honing his scythe, and the tree depicts the many orchards which once graced the village. Since 1935, the civil parish of Honing has incorporated its very small neighbouring village of Crostwight. The name Honing derives from the Old English for something approaching “settlement of the people at the hill or rock.”
The village is 15 miles north-northeast of Norwich, 13 miles south east of Cromer and 135 miles north-east of London. The village lies 4 miles south east of the ancient market town of North Walsham. The nearest railway stations are at Worstead and North Walsham for the Abellio Greater Anglia Bittern Line which runs between Sheringham and Norwich. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport. For the purposes of local government, the village falls within North Norfolk District Council.
The Weavers Way long distance footpath runs across the south east corner of the parish along part of the old track bed of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway (which ran between North Great Yarmouth via Peterborough to the Midlands and the North). The total length of the Weavers Way is about 56 miles between Cromer and Great Yarmouth. The disused North Walsham & Dilham Canal runs along the south west boundary of the parish.
CROSTWIGHT is a small village and in the north-east of the county of Norfolk. It was an independent civil parish until 1935 when it merged with Honing.
Apart from the beautiful medieval church of All Saints’, the village consists of Crostwight Hall, cottages and outbuildings many which are now converted into homes, an Old Rectory, and a few other houses.
Crostwight parish church stands on its own down a grass track not far from the Old Rectory, but is distant from the rest of the village.